Let’s change the name of the church! I ask, why?
The following statement is one I left on a post in an online forum. The original poster asked how to get people on board with a name change. Further how do go about getting them tied into the vision and mission of the name change. Below was my reponse.
A name change without a DNA change will not help.
- For example, if changing the name is “the secret sauce” for growth, you’ll still be stuck.
- If the DNA…(values, vision, mission) necessitates a change of name, go for it.
- Though I have never personally led a church through a name change, I was on staff at a church who changed their name. After the pastor left (that initiated the name change) the church name eventually went back to the original name under the new pastor. Why did that happen?
- The answer I believe is due to the reason why the name was changed to being with. The name change wasn’t organic. The values, vision, and mission of the church didn’t necessitate the change. The DNA of the church didn’t change. Same church….different name.
Write the vision, make it plain.
- Allow people to get tied to the vision first. Once that happens begin tying a new identity (name) with the new DNA (values, vision, and mission).
- It could be a tag line at first. For example. Say the tag line from your values, mission, and vision was the following. A place for people looking for life and significance.
- As people live out, or reproduce the values, vision, and mission, it may be, that you find out the vision and mission necessitates for you to identify as Infuse Church.
- The name changed because the identity changed.
Allow the name change to be from the values, vision, and mission. Let it be organic.
Just to be honest, my advice may not be worth the time it took to write it out. I admit, I’m limited in my experience with the question, but, maybe it’s helpful.
Share this: Some helpful tips if your thinking of changing the name of the church.
- A name change without a DNA change will not help.
- Write the vision, make it plain.
- Allow the name change to be from the values, vision, and mission. Let it be organic.