And you shall teach them the statutes and the Laws, and show them the way in which they must walk and the work they must do.
Sometimes when receiving the outline to teach a lesson you can be left with the question, “How are the kids I teach supposed to grasp this?” Upon reading the lesson you may feel as if it is above their heads or too childish. The truth is this is where one of your most important jobs come in to play. It is up to you to take the lesson provided and make sure that your age group has the opportunity to clearly hear the gospel and respond.
The goal of this post is to help those who teach in the children’s ministry at the North Aiken Church of God take their weekly lesson and adapt it to their age group they have been entrusted to teach.
After going over this material I see you going into your class this Sunday and teaching the Gospel to your students in a way they will be able to understand and implement as they go throughout their week.
What You Need to Know:
1) You have been entrusted to teach God’s word this week to the children in your care.
- You feel called of God to invest in the lives of the students.
- Your Pastor has appointed you to instruct them.
- The parents of those you are teaching are trusting that you are going to invest in their child’s life.
2) You have the tools in order to teach the children in your care God’s word.
- You have a Bible
- A lesson has been prepared
- The time you’ve spent alone with God this week has empowered you to be able to teach effectively.
3) Your life has to set the example
- How you live outside of the class points them as to how they are to respond
- Your life shows them how to walk (live)
- Your life shows them how to work (what they must do)
What You Need to Do
1) Begin by praying before opening the material
- Pray that God would open his word up to you and you would deliver it in a way that is effective.
- Pray over each child that will be in your class
2) Get to know the material
- Read the Lesson Title
- Look up the passage of scripture that is going to be talked about and read it from your Bible
- Read the Big Idea
- Look up the memory verse and read it from your Bible
3) Read through the Bible Lesson from your Outline
- 1st read through it just to become familiar with how the writer explained the Bible passage
- 2nd read through it and make notes and reword what you feel would help your age group understand the lesson.
- 3rd read through it and make notes of things that you can do in order to help your age group comprehend the subject matter. (Such as visuals, actions, or involvement.)
4) Arrive prepared to teach your lesson
- Arrive with a smile on your face ready to teach your Group the truth from God’s word
- As you enter the room and set up your area pray over each chair in representation of a child that will be attending.
- Prior to service starting until completion of the service find ways to engage in the lives of the Children you have been entrusted to teach.
Remember, your goal is to take the lesson you have been provided and teach it effectively to those in your care. The words you speak and the actions you portray have the opportunity to lead each child in your care closer to making a decision to follow Christ. By following the above approach you will see that you will have a great impact in the lives of your students.
The point is this, God has called you, Your Pastor has appointed you, and the Parents are trusting you, you can teach effectively this week and in the weeks to come.